Wayne Roo-moved from Fifa cover
Tuesday, August 21, 2012 6:08 PM
EA has announced that it has parted ways with Wayne Rooney and that the Manchester United striker will not be on the cover of its next Fifa release.
The England international had worked with EA over the past seven seasons and last year appeared alongside Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshire on the cover of Fifa 12.
However, for the upcoming Fifa 13 game he will be replaced on the box by Barcelona star Lionel Messi; flanked by up-and-coming Arsenal midfielder Alex 'The Ox' Oxlade-Chamberlain and England keeper Joe Hart - whose names were announced at a special press conference.
On the subject of Rooney's departure, EA said: "After seven successful seasons working with Wayne, we have mutually agreed not to renew our partnership.
"During this period, both Wayne and the Fifa franchise have achieved phenomenal success but the time feels right for both parties to explore other avenues. We wish Wayne the very best of luck in the future and we look forward to him accomplishing even greater success for both club and country."
In response to his call up, The Ox, 19, who has been playing the franchise since he was six-years-old, said it was "a bit of surprise".
"Being a keen Fifa player for a number of years … it's a massive honour for me and one I'll cherish for sure," he explained.
Asked about his prowess on the game, the Arsenal player said: "I'm not bad at all."
Hart said it felt "weird" to see himself on the cover of the game and, despite being good with his hands on the pitch, also admitted to not being "the greatest player to ever pick up a controller" - although he added that he enjoys the "banter" of playing with his team mates at the Etihad.
Fifa 13 is released this September.